For many people, running isn’t an option, due to injury, pregnancy or for medical reasons. Walking is a wonderful, easy and free activity that has many health benefits, both physically and mentally.
Benefits of Walking
- Boosts bone density, which is so important in the prevention of osteoporosis
- Decreases risk of heart disease, diabetes and stroke
- Improves your mood, decreases feelings of depression
- Helps you lose and maintain your weight in conjunction with a healthy diet
- Can be social- grab a friend!
- Great way to ease back into running, if that is a goal
- Helps to maintain strength in your muscles, joints and tendons
If you have suffered a musculo-skeletal injury, are pregnant or have a medical condition, your exercise choices may be limited. Coming in daily for Clinical Exercise classes run by your physiotherapist is not achievable for most! Walking is a great way to exercise and something that can be done easily everyday.
Important things to remember!
- Make sure you have great shoes – walking in thongs or flimsy sandals can actually do more harm than good!
- Try and get your heart rate up that way you will get the cardiovascular benefits
- Build up your tolerance slowly
- COOL DOWN after- have a stretch for a good 10 mins
Try going for a walk today= even if it’s to the shops, or park your car a little further away from your destination e.g PMPP 🙂 and walk to your next class!
If you have any questions please free to have a chat or book an appointment with one of our friendly physios. BOOK ONLINE